Many people above the age of 35 have concerns about wrinkles around their eyes and sagging eyelids. Wrinkles are one of the most noticeable signs of ageing around the eyes. The skin surrounding the eyes is extremely thin and is prone to damage. External factors and age can cause sagging and drooping of the eyelids over time. Moreover, fat also accumulates around the lower and upper eyelids by giving an aged appearance.
If you observe indications of baggy eyelids and ageing, you must consult a doctor. Modern techniques exist to decrease the appearance of sagging and wrinkled eyelids. Eyelid surgery is a highly sophisticated procedure that involves the correction of the area surrounding the eyes and improving the appearance.
Continue reading to learn what eyelid surgery is and how it is done.
Table of Contents
Feel free to skip ahead if one topic catches your eye:
- What is Eyelid Surgery?
- Who needs eyelid surgery?
- The procedure of Eyelid Surgery
- What To Expect After Eyelid Surgery?
- What are the benefits of Eyelid Surgery?
- What Are the Risks of Eyelid Surgery?
What is Eyelid Surgery?
Eyelid surgery is a cutting-edge procedure that entails surgery to fix drooping and sagging eyelids. The procedure is also known as eyelid lift surgery as it helps lift the eyelids and can correct a variety of issues. It involves the removal of extra skin and fat from the lower and upper eyelids, giving the eyes a more youthful and sculpted appearance.
Eyelid surgery is one of the most effective treatments for removing under-eye puffiness, eye bags, and fat around the eyes. It also aids in eyesight improvement as extra skin can obstruct side vision.
The surgery offers you a more youthful look and takes years off your face.
Who needs eyelid surgery?
This surgery is for you if you face issues such as:
- Drooping eyes or sagging in the lower and upper eyelid
- Puffy eyes
- Very little eyelid space
- Under-eye bags
- Excessive skin around both lower and upper eyelids even obstructing vision
- Presence of wrinkles around the eyes
- Loose skin
- Problems with the side vision
Eyelid surgery can readily solve these problems.
The procedure of Eyelid Surgery
Eyelid surgery is performed under the supervision of a qualified surgeon.
- Local or general anesthesia is given to the patient by the doctor depending on the patient’s preference and general health.
- During the surgery, anesthesia is given to make sure that there is little or no pain.
- After the anesthesia administration, the incisions are made in the natural contour of the eyes. It helps in minimizing the scars after the surgery
- This procedure helps in eliminating excess skin, fat and under-eye bags. The surrounding connective tissue that causes bagging is removed by the surgeon.
- After the surgery, the wounds are sutured back with stitches and bandages. The surgery is quick and requires about an hour or so for completion.
- After a week to 10 days, the sutures can be removed as per healing.
As the surgery is performed so close to the eyes, it might raise questions such as, ‘Is Eyelid Surgery Painful?’
Eyelid surgery is a very safe procedure that causes little to no pain. The anesthesia ensures that the patient feels no pain during the surgery.
There are no major post-surgical scars. As incisions are made along the natural contour of the eyes, the creases and eyelashes hide the surgery scars. The recuperation time is also less as compared to traditional eyelid surgery.
What to Expect After Eyelid Surgery?
Cold compression is given to the eyes immediately following eyelid surgery to help reduce swelling and discomfort.
- Blurred vision is a common symptom after surgery. The blurry vision is caused by the ophthalmic ointment, which is essential for keeping the eyes hydrated and clear of infection.
- You may have light sensitivity, puffy or swollen eyelids, or numbness around the eyes for a few days, but this will resolve in a few days.
- Bruising and swelling are also frequent, and you may notice that your eyes are puffy during the first week of recuperation.
In general, most patients are fully healed after a month or two following surgery and may resume their daily lifestyle. Various post-operative instructions must be followed to recover as swiftly as possible:
- Giving yourself a break and having a week off after surgery is very crucial. It not only helps with healing but also with a quick recovery.
- Cold compression: Cold compression is quite beneficial in minimizing swelling and bruising after surgery. An ice pack wrapped is an excellent remedy for applying to the eyes as a cold compress.
- Medication: The doctor will prescribe pain relievers to relieve you from the pain after the surgery. Medications are also given to prevent infection. It is important to take only the surgeon-prescribed medication and not any over-the-counter medication.
- Avoiding strenuous physical activities: Resting is essential following surgery. If you have a hectic fitness schedule, you should avoid it for a few days following the procedure.
- Practicing good Eye Care: It is essential to follow certain steps and practice good eye care. You should refrain from:
- Rubbing your eyes
- Wearing heavy makeup around the eyes
- Excessive watching on phone and screen
- Reading in dim light
- Keep your head hanging or low levels. Always keep your head elevated while sleeping
- Going out without sunglasses. Direct sunlight can damage the eyes after the surgery.
- Wearing contact lenses after the surgery
What are the benefits of Eyelid Surgery?
There are several benefits of eyelid surgery. The benefits vary from aesthetic and optical enhancements to eyesight correction.
- Getting a more youthful appearance: Surgery can improve the overall appearance of the eyes, making them appear bigger and brighter. The overall appearance improves as unwanted wrinkles and skin around the eyes are removed.
- Correction of vision problems: As we age, the muscles behind our eyes loosen, giving the impression of a hood over our eyes. It might obstruct side and peripheral vision. Because the procedure involves the excision of extra skin, peripheral vision improves.
- Eyelid surgery involves the redistribution and removal of extra fat around the upper and lower eyelids. It aids in the removal of the under-eye bag, which can give the appearance of fatigue.
- Get a symmetrical appearance: An uneven distribution of fat and muscle might result in an asymmetrical look of the eyes. After the surgery, the face seems harmonious as these problems are corrected.
Patients who undergo eyelid surgery can return to their daily life after a week of rest and rehabilitation. The recovery after the surgery is swift.
What Are the Risks of Eyelid Lid Surgery?
There are some risks involved with eyelid surgery that you need to know before considering eyelid surgery.
- Scar infection is a very typical occurrence. The most prevalent signs of an eyelid infection are as follows:
- Pus discharge from the wound
- An increase in body temperature
Post-operative care becomes critical to avoid infection and bacterial contamination after eyelid surgery.
- Conjunctivitis: A common risk factor is conjunctivitis. The symptoms of conjunctivitis following eyelid surgery are redness, burning in the eyes, and a stinging sensation. In most cases, the doctor will prescribe eye drops and prescriptions.
- Scarring: Although scarring is slight, it is concealed by the eyelashes. In rare instances, the appearance of a scar can be rather obvious.
- Blurry vision: You may be unable to see clearly for a day or two following surgery when the doctor administers ointment around the eyes, but this normally cures itself within a few days.
- Dry eyes: Due to a lack of proper aftercare, surgery can result in dryness around the eyes.
- Itching around the eyes: The sutures may cause itching. It is critical to keep your hands away from the incision to avoid contamination and infections.
- Very rare chances of bleeding causing hematoma in post-operative period especially with lower eyelid surgery for which redo operation has to be done.
Following the post-operative instructions reduces the risks.
The Aesculpir clinic is a one-stop cosmetic surgery clinic in Delhi for all your cosmetic concerns. The clinic is well equipped with state of art instruments and provides a comprehensive and holistic solution to all your aesthetic problems.