9 things you need to know before Eyelid Surgery
Eyelid surgery or blepharoplasty is a surgery done for various conditions that affect the eye like droopy eyelids. It is a very delicate procedure that requires a lot of precision and finesse and should only be done by professionals.
In this article, we will discuss eyelid surgery in detail covering all topics and questions that patients frequently have regarding eyelid surgery and double eyelid surgery.
Table Of Contents
Feel free to skip ahead if one topic catches your eye
1. Purpose of eyelid surgery
Eyelid surgery is usually done for people who have a problem in fully opening their eyes that interferes with their sight. This can happen due to variety of reasons which include, but are not limited to the following problems:
- Droopy upper eyelids
- Baggy upper eyelids
- Excess skin on the upper eyelids
- Excess skin on the lower eyelids
- Under eye bags
Removing extra skin and tissue from your upper or lower eyelids can help solve this problem for you. Upper eyelid surgery can help open your eyes wider and thus help you look younger and more alert than before.
2. Are you the candidate for eyelid surgery
There are certain factors that make a person a good candidate for eyelid surgery, which include:
- If you have puffy upper eyelids because of excess fat deposits.
- If you have loose or saggy skin in the upper eyelid that may cause sight impairment.
- If you suffer from droopy eyelids
- If you have bags or fine lines below your lower eyelid.
- You have a overall good health
- You do not smoke
3. What does the procedure look like?
As we age, our eyelids stretch and because of this, the muscles in the eyelids weaken and excess fat and loose skin can get deposited in the eyelids which can even impair vision.
The eyelid surgery works to remove this extra skin and fat. During the procedure, this extra fat, muscle and loose skin is removed from eyelids, making them taut once again.
Eyelid surgery is usually done in an outpatient setting under local anesthesia.
4. Eyelid surgery won’t change the actual structure for your eyes
Eyelid surgery only aims at removing the excess skin and fat that has been accumulated in your eyelids with time and only occurs on the outer aspects of your eye. It will not change the actual structure of your eyes.
Only the bags under your eyes and excess skin and fat in your upper eyelids will be removed during the eyelid surgery procedure which has absolutely no effect on the structural build of your eyes.
5. It will take a few weeks to show results
Any surgical procedure requires a certain amount of rest before you can start using the part again. It also takes some time to see the results. Eyelid surgery, like any other surgery, is accompanied with some amount of swelling and inflammation in the targeted area.
You will not be able to see results till this swelling and inflammation is gone. It can typically take anywhere between 10 to 14 days for the swelling to completely vanish from your eyes. Scars from the surgery take even longer to fade completely. This can take up to a few weeks.
This is when you will start seeing the exact results of the eyelid surgery. It is extremely important to know this before you set any unrealistic expectations from eyelid surgery. Do not go for the surgery expecting instantaneous results.
It will take a few weeks for the results to come.
6. It will make you look younger
Baggy and wrinkled eyelids are a sign of old age. As the body ages, the skin loses its elasticity, becomes saggy and forms bags under the eyes. The excess skin might also make your eyes look smaller (because they will not be able to open completely) and even impair your vision.
Eyelid surgery is done in order to remove all this excess skin and tissue from the eyelids, thus removing the bags and wrinkles from the eyelids.
Removal of under eye bags, loose skin, and wrinkles will automatically make you look younger. Also, the surgery will help your eyes open completely and thus look wider and more alert, giving you a younger appearance.
7. What are the risk and Complications
Possible risks of the eyelid surgery include the following:
- Bleeding during the surgery
- Infection in the eyes
- Dry eyes
- Irritation in the eyes
- Visible scarring
- Injury to the eye muscles
- Injury to nerves
- Blurred vision
- Loss of vision (very rare)
- Skin discoloration
- Risks of anaesthesia
- Blood clotting
There are certain complications that can occur after the surgery and if you experience any of the following symptoms, immediately report to your surgeon.
- Severe new eye pain
- Vision disturbances
- Shortness of breath
- Chest pain
- Irregular heart rate
8. What to avoid after the surgery?
You will be advised to avoid doing certain activities and using certain things after your surgery. This is done to ensure proper and fast recovery from the eyelid surgery.
These include the following:
- Avoid rubbing your eyes
- Avoid strenuous activities like jogging or running for about a week after the surgery.
- Avoid heavy lifting or swimming for a week after the surgery.
- Avoid smoking after the eyelid surgery.
- Avoid using contact lenses for about 2 weeks after the procedure.
- Avoid medications that make your blood thin like aspirin, etc or any other medication that your doctor has advised you against.
- Avoid straining your eyes by cutting your screen time and relaxing your eyes.
9. Are the results permanent?
The exact duration of results depends on a lot of factors like the surgeon performing the eyelid or double eyelid surgery, patient factors, overall health of the patient, environmental factors, etc. But in general, eyelid surgery has long-lasting results. These typically last for 5 to 7 years.
With time, the elasticity of the skin decreases and it becomes loose and baggy again. But eyelid or double eyelid surgery do have very long-lasting effects.
This was a brief article explaining the various aspects of eyelid or double eyelid surgery. For further information about eyelid surgery in Delhi like it’s cost, exact procedures, etc, contact a qualified professional who will be able to guide you better.
Given the delicate nature of droopy eyelid surgery, it is extremely important that you get your surgery done from only the best Clinic.
At Aesculpir, you will get the right treatment and post operative care from one the best doctors and team at an affordable cost.
Subscribe To The Aesculpir
Subscribe To The Aesculpir
- Extended Tummy Tuck: Procedure, Pictures, Cost, and More 26-May-2022
- How a Tummy Tuck Can Benefit Your Overall Health 23-May-2022
- Rhinoplasty for Flat Nose, Procedure & Cost in India 01-May-2022
- Breast Augmentation Surgery Cost: How Much Does Breast Augmentation Cost In India 13-Apr-2022
- 5 Amazing Benefits of Thread Lifts 03-Apr-2022