Liposuction vs Tummy Tuck: Procedure, Recovery and More
Nowadays, people are very attentive towards their health, especially when it comes to the fat around the tummy region. There could be a number of factors influencing the flabby fat around your tummy, from post-pregnancy weight gain to a sedentary lifestyle.
But, when it comes to the cosmetic procedures of losing that extra flab from the body, which one is the best option? When discussing liposuction vs. tummy tuck, there are quite a few aspects that decide which one is the ideal procedure for you.
Here, we are going to walk you through all the details concerning these procedures to make it easier for you to choose the ideal treatment for your body.
Table of Contents
Feel free to skip ahead if one topic catches your eye
- Tummy Tuck and Liposuction – Explained
- Ideal Candidates for Liposuction and Tummy Tuck
- How Tummy Tuck and Liposuction Procedures are Different?
- Results – Liposuction vs. Tummy Tuck
- Possible Complications – Liposuction vs. Tummy Tuck
- Cost Comparison – Liposuction vs. Tummy Tuck
1. Tummy Tuck and Liposuction – Explained
Before we expand on the ideal candidates for the individual processes of tummy tuck and liposuction, it is necessary that we explain the procedures first. What do they mean?
Tummy Tuck is an invasive cosmetic surgical procedure that helps remove the excess skin around the abdomen strengthens the underlying weak muscles and tightens the skin around it. This procedure is done in patients who have drastically lost weight but have loose skin on the abdomen. The procedure works on the middle and the lower abdomen region and firms the skin around the abdomen to give a more toned look to the patient.
Liposuction, on the other hand, is a form of body contouring surgery that gets rid of the stubborn pockets of fat around the abdomen or other parts of the body, including the arms and thighs. It is effective in getting rid of the deposited fat in the body but it doesn’t have any excess benefits in tightening the skin around the treated area. It is a less invasive procedure compared to a tummy tuck or abdominoplasty and thus has a quicker recovery rate.
2. Ideal Candidates for Liposuction and Tummy Tuck
When comparing liposuction vs. tummy tuck, the first factor of consideration is the ideal patient for an individual process. Before you decide to undergo either one of these procedures, talking to an experienced professional is extremely important. This helps the patient get a better understanding of what their body needs at that point.
Liposuction is ideal for:
- If you want to get rid of the fat deposits from your body, liposuction is a better procedure
- Avoid getting liposuction if you are obese as this isn’t an ideal mode of weight loss
A tummy tuck is ideal for:
Abdominoplasty addresses multiple concerns. Not only does it help get rid of the excess fat from the body, but it also works on removing the excess loose skin as well. This cosmetic procedure is mainly done in patients who want to restore a more natural look after a weight loss journey or after their pregnancy term. Consider getting a tummy tuck if:
- You want to restore the look of your abdomen after a weight loss journey with a more toned and firm appearance
- You have a BMI between 30-35
- You have a chronic disease that is abstaining you from losing weight
3. How Tummy Tuck and Liposuction Procedures are Different?
Much like the end results and the objectives of the liposuction procedure and the tummy tuck, even the actual steps in the treatment are different and subjective. To make it clearer to you, we are going to discuss each of these procedures individually.
- Before the procedure, an initial consultation is done with the cosmetic surgeon who walks the patient through the procedure and helps them get a clear picture of the recovery and the expectations after the surgery.
- On the day of the treatment, the specialist starts with intravenous sedation or general anesthesia, depending on the patient’s requirements.
- The surgeon then starts making small incisions around the hidden areas close to target areas of fat pockets.
- A thin tube or cannula is inserted through the incision to loosen the fat cells under the layer of skin
- Once that is done, a medical vacuum is used to remove the excess pockets of fat deposits from inside the body
- If the fat proportion is high, it might take multiple sessions for the ideal results
Tummy Tuck Procedure
- Since this is a more invasive procedure with larger incisions and requires suturing in the end, the expert starts by administering general anesthesia to the patient
- Once the sedation is done successfully, the surgeon starts by creating an incision around the bottom of the skin on the lower abdomen
- From there, the excess layers of fats and skin are trimmed off, weakened underlying muscles causing profusion are tightened and the skin is lightly stitched back into the abdomen to give a more toned look to the abdominal region
- Unlike liposuction, this is a one-time surgical procedure that is done within 2-3 hours, depending on the patient’s body
4. Results – Liposuction vs. Tummy Tuck
Both these forms of surgeries impose permanent results when maintained with a healthy lifestyle.. Patients have reported seeing different types of results after the successful completion with respect to the results and the recovery after either of these procedures.
Here’s what you can expect from the procedures.
The results of liposuction are quite flattering as they help give the tummy and the rest of the abdominal region a more contoured appearance. If you had a flabby and uneven structure around your abdomen or any other parts of the body, removing the excess pockets of fat helps correct the uneven look.
The liposuction recovery time is less compared to a tummy tuck. Generally, the recovery time is dependent on the areas where the procedure has been done. Some patients experience swelling and fluid collection at the site of the treatment, which quickly levels down within a week’s time. The pain or discomfort should subside within a day or two. You can resume your regular day’s work within 3 to 5 days. The surgeons suggest wearing a surgical compression garment for a better shape of the area.
With the tummy tuck treatment, you get a toned and firm appearance around your abdominal region. It ideally gets rid of the flabby skin that many patients find unflattering. It enhances the stability and strength of the abdominal wall too. It is a more permanent procedure, compared to liposuction.
The recovery time is a little more in this procedure. The patient has prescribed the necessary antibiotics and pain-relieving medication after the surgery. The patients might need to have surgical drains for 2-3 days following the surgery. As for the initial recovery of the incision, it takes around 3weeks. It is extremely important to avoid heavy lifting and strenuous work for at least 2-3 months after the surgery.
5. Possible Complications – Liposuction vs. Tummy Tuck
Since both are invasive surgeries, they do come with risks of complications. However, the complications are not serious or life-threatening. They are curable and generally go away within a few days or a week.
- Disfigured contours of the abdomen
- Fluid accumulation or Seroma
- Fat embolism
Tummy tuck complications:
- Altered sensations around the incision or abdomen
- Tissue necrosis
Aesculpir assures that their patients get the best treatment with optimal satisfying results and minimal complications.
6. Cost Comparison – Liposuction vs. Tummy Tuck
The liposuction surgery cost and the tummy tuck surgery cost in Delhi varies. It is dependent on several factors, including the charges of the surgeon and clinic along with the general well-being of the patient.
Generally, the cost of liposuction surgery in Delhi starts from as low as INR 30,000 and can go as high as INR 5,00,000, depending on the area treatment and the charge levied by the hospital.
The tummy tuck surgery cost in Delhi generally starts from INR 1,00,000 and can range as high as INR 2,80,000 or more.
Factors affecting the cost of the treatment:
- Charges of the cosmetic surgeon
- Charges of the clinic/hospital
- City where the treatment is done
- Follow-up consultation charges
- Parts of the body the treatment is done on
At Aesculpir, you are assured of the best treatment at cost-effective packages.
Just because both liposuction and tummy tuck fall under body contouring surgeries doesn’t mean they are ideal for everyone. It is extremely important to ensure that you consult an experienced and highly skilled cosmetic surgeon to get a better idea of what is best suited for your body type when discussing liposuction vs. tummy tuck.
Subscribe To The Aesculpir
Subscribe To The Aesculpir
- Eye Bag Surgery: Benefits, Risks, Recovery Time & Cost in Delhi 24-Sep-2021
- Gynecomastia Surgery: procedure, recovery, cost, and more 03-Sep-2021
- Liposuction Recovery: Tips on How To Enhance Your Recovery 02-Sep-2021
- Liposuction: How it works, Types, Safety & Benefits 24-Aug-2021
- How long does a hair transplant last? 19-Aug-2021