Do you long for a taut tummy? Is a stern diet chart and vigorous exercise not helpful enough? A tummy tuck is certainly worth a shot for you!
Medically known as “abdominoplasty”, a tummy tuck, is essentially a surgery that flattens the abdomen by removing extra skin and fat layered upon it. A nicely toned look is given by repositioning the remaining skin.
A tummy tuck is, significantly and primarily, useful in the case of women having multiple pregnancies, people who have loose skin due to aging, and when there is an escalating weight gain.
Table of Contents
Feel free to skip ahead if one topic catches your eye:
1. Tummy tuck
If you are planning to get tummy tuck surgery, it is best advised to find an experienced doctor who rightfully understands your requirements. Based on your body type, one of the following tummy tuck procedures may be recommended-
- Complete abdominoplasty- Full tummy tuck involves complete abdomen from one hip bone to another hip bone. Subsequently, the skin, tissues, and muscles are contoured as required. A New Belly button is made in this type of surgery.
- Partial abdominoplasty- Mini tummy tuck is most suitable in cases where fat deposits are found below the navel. It doesn’t require the creation of the new belly button. It is a quick surgery, often involving on average two hours.
The tummy tuck surgery cost in Delhi generally varies from Rs.1,15,000- 2,25,000/-.
It is recommended to consult your doctor beforehand regarding your tummy tuck recovery. The process and timeline of recovery majorly vary from person to person. The factors contributing to such variation include general body health, age, and body weight. The kind of tummy tuck also plays a pivotal role in the recovery process altogether.
It is quite natural to experience a bounce back after the surgery. It is important to give your body some time to heal. While some patients might be discharged after a few hours post tummy tuck surgery in Delhi, others may need to spend a night or two at the hospital. Once you leave the hospital, it is when the real recovery begins.
2. Recovery Timeline
It’s important to review the tummy tuck recovery timeline so that your routine life activities can be scheduled accordingly. Quite obviously, the recovery period for every surgery varies from person to person and no rigid time frame, suited to every individual, can be stated with precision.
Tummy tuck surgery requires quite a while to recover from. It is recommended to take it easy and slow for the first couple of days post-surgery, if not a week. Although the tummy tuck recovery time of mini-abdominoplasty is relatively quicker, you’ll still need to avoid heavy exercises and strenuous activities for at least 6 weeks.
Most likely, your doctor will ask you to adhere to the guidelines regarding the following things-
- Care of incision and drainage of tubes as prescribed.
- Be careful about any possible infection and overall health condition.
- Physical activities that are to be avoided.
- Follow Up with the surgeon.
- Duration and method of wearing abdominal pressure garments.
- Amount of rest required.
- Changes in diet.
Right after the surgery, you’ll need someone to drive you home. Additionally, you would not be permitted to shower at least 48 hours after the surgery. Most commonly, an antibiotic or an anticoagulant will be prescribed. Also, some medications would be required to be applied to the skin. You might experience some pain in the initial few days. It is recommended to avoid smoking or consuming alcohol as it can potentially hinder the healing process and may cause serious complications.
You might as well need to modify your sleeping habits for quite some time. Generally, the surgeon guides to sleep on an inclined surface after a few days of the surgery. An effective remedy for reducing swelling is to keep your upper body raised with the knees bent at an angle. Adjusting pillows under your knees would be efficacious too.
Routinely, it is advised to keep walking a few steps. This will boost the healing process by making the blood flow smoothly and consequently the tummy tuck recovery.
It’s natural to experience fatigue for weeks after the surgery. Therefore, taking proper rest is potent. Your doctor will guide you through to find a comfortable resting position.
3. Factors affecting tummy tuck recovery
It is the interplay of various factors that would determine the recovery timeline of any surgery. In this surgery, particularly, the following factors play a key role-
- Age of the patient.
- Type of tummy tuck.
- General health condition of the patient.
- Postoperative care.
Normally, the types of tummy tuck treatment include the following-
- Mini tummy tuck, also known as partial abdominoplasty, has the shortest recovery period. Also, it leaves minimum possible scars on the body.
- Complete tummy tuck takes a comparatively longer duration to recover from. Although it does leave scars these can efficiently be hidden under the bathing suit itself.
- Extended tummy tuck, leaves possibly the largest scar. It takes a long time to heal.
4. Tips for recovery
Although it is in the common knowledge of all that there is no shortcut to recovery post any surgery. It is, however, equally important to remember that a healthy body evidently recovers rapidly over the body instilled with infirmities.
Some of the widely accepted tummy tuck recovery tips are as follows-
- Keep the incision clean and dry.
- Regular intake of prescribed medications.
- Bandages should be changed daily.
- Apply prescribed topical cream on the incision sites.
- Drink plenty of water to make your body toxin-free. It will significantly bring down the swelling.
- Maintaining a healthy diet. Include fruits and vegetables in your diet.
- Avoiding smoking and drinking for at least three months after the surgery.
- Prescribed compression garment or supportive wrap to be worn. It helps reduce swelling and any possible discomfort.
- Schedule follow-up visits regularly.
Other than the above-mentioned tips, the following may also be advantageous-
- Avoid lifting heavy objects.
- Do not practice vigorous exercises.
- Scale down any physically demanding work.
It’s worthwhile to know the insights into the surgery that you are actually going to undertake. A better understanding of the procedure and the recovery process altogether helps to cope up with it effectively and efficiently. It might as well bring down the tummy tuck recovery time quite evidently. It is the willingness of the patient coupled with the expertise of the surgeon that fairly determines the success of a surgery. It is therefore extremely crucial to find the right specialist. At Aesculpir, you will get the right suggestion with Cost-effective treatment and modern techniques.
1^ Tummy tuck- Recovery, www.webmd.com | February 12, 2021
2^ Recovery timeline, .healthline.com | February 12, 2021
3^ Factors affecting recovery, medicalnewstoday.com | February 12, 2021
4^ Tips for recovery, medicalnewstoday.com | February 12, 2021
5^ Tips for Recovery, healthline.com | February 12, 2021
6^ Cost, drriteshanand.com | February 12, 2021
It's crucial to think about how long it will recovery take before getting a tummy tuck. A tummy tuck recovery timeline typically ranges from 6-8 weeks, as healing is different for each person. Immediately after the procedure, you are taken to the recovery room, where the doctor instructs you on recovery time and how to care for the incision.
After discharge, you will need help from someone for the first few days due to limited mobility. You would need to drain the tubes and record the fluid drained daily. Initially, the incision will feel sore, and you may have trouble standing or lifting objects. Avoid driving and exercising until the doctor’s clearance. You can resume your everyday task after 2 weeks after the surgery.
Patients should be aware that all surgeries have a certain amount of risk. It is crucial to be aware of the warning signs after tummy tuck. To guarantee good healing and your general welfare, this is essential. Immediately contact your doctor if you encounter any of the following:
- Strong nausea and vomiting, a high fever (above 101 degrees), ongoing dizziness, or bizarre behavior, such as hallucinations.
- Any pain that your painkillers are unable to manage.
- Skin that is hot to the touch and bright red.
- Substantial blood loss or leakage of liquid through the incisions.
- Bruising is limited to one specific location on your belly or a badly deformed area anywhere on your abdomen.
- Breathing difficulties or calf discomfort
A tummy tuck is typically well tolerated. But because it involves surgery, there are certain risks and adverse effects, including pain. If you are considering it, be ready for a tummy tuck recovery timeline which is typically one- to two months, during which you can experience pain. Generally speaking, post-tummy tuck pain is modest to severe. In rare cases, discomfort or abnormal sensory perception might last for weeks, months, or even years after the treatment.
The length of time it takes to recuperate from a tummy tuck depends on the patient as well as variables, including age, general health, and the type of tummy tuck. Typically the tummy tuck recovery stages are as follows:
Immediately After Surgery - the abdomen will be secured with an abdominal binder. You’ll be told how to care for your drain tubes, make arrangements as you won’t be able to drive yourself home. Difficulty in standing, bending, lifting, etc for long periods.
One to Three Weeks After Surgery - By now, you should already notice a significant change in your stomach's contour. You’ll need to continue wearing your support garment. You may resume work If you have a desk job,
One to Three Months After Surgery - You may experience swelling, numbness, or bruising. The incision should be fully healed, but the remaining scar may still appear red and raised. This will eventually flatten and fade. You’ll be able to resume normal activities, including strenuous physical activity.
One Year After Surgery - You should be fully healed, and results visible. Your inflammation should be gone, and the scar should fade.
In a tummy tuck recovery timeline, exercising and strenuous physical activity come at least 6 weeks after the procedure. This includes rigorous exercise. You should stay active and, when you're ready, go for short walks that get longer to promote the healing process. But you shouldn't run or lift weights until your incision is completely healed and your doctor gives the all-clear.