Gynecomastia Surgery – Benefits Vs. Risks
Do you have enlarged male breasts? Does it hamper your self-esteem? If yes, then it would be a great idea to go for male breast reduction surgery. Gynecomastia surgery proves to be extremely effective in this regard by offering men the desired results. Now, let us learn a bit more about what exactly is gynecomastia.
Gynecomastia, which is also referred to as ‘man boobs,’ is a condition where breast tissues in men swell up due to hormonal imbalance. It is a common condition among teenage boys and older men, where their breasts enlarge to become bigger than normal. It is quite embarrassing and degrades the affected individuals’ self condition to a great extent. The best way to treat this condition is to opt for gynecomastia surgery. Gynecomastia surgery benefits are far-reaching and offer great results for every affected individual. Let us delve a bit deeper into this topic to gain a better understanding.
Table of Contents
Feel free to skip ahead if one topic catches your eye:
- How do I know if I have gynecomastia?
- How Gynecomastia Surgery benefits you?
- Risks associated with Gynecomastia Surgery
1. How Do I Know if I Have Gynecomastia?
If you find swollen or enlarged breast tissue, it is of immense importance to know whether you are really a victim of gynecomastia. Many times, gynecomastia is often confused with the presence of excessive fat tissue, which is quite common among overweight or obese men. It is referred to as pseudo gynecomastia and is commonly confused with gynecomastia. This is due to the accumulation of excess fat around the chest area, thereby rendering a swollen or puffy appearance. To understand whether you really have gynecomastia, here are a few common signs and symptoms to look out for.
- Swollen or enlarged breast tissue
- Pain or tenderness in the enlarged tissue that increases over time
- A feeling of a rubbery lump like structure under the nipple area resembling the same as a woman’s breast
- Discharge from nipples in one or both breasts
All these are vital signs of gynecomastia, and it is time to consult a healthcare expert regarding the same. In this regard, it would be ideal to opt for gynecomastia surgery in Delhi or male breast reduction surgery in Delhi for getting the desired results. There are a few gynecomastia surgery risks, but the risks are minimized when you get in touch with an experienced surgeon.
Causes of Gynecomastia
Male hormone testosterone controls masculine characteristics of men like muscle mass and body hair. On the other hand, the female hormone estrogen controls the feminine characteristics of women, like the growth of breasts. But the female hormone estrogen is also produced in a small amount in males. An increase in the level of estrogen in males can cause male breasts or gynecomastia. In several instances, gynecomastia surgery might be the only treatment option depending on the severity of the cases.
Gynecomastia is triggered by a reduction in the amount of male hormone testosterone as compared to the female hormone estrogen. The decrease in male hormones is a result of few conditions that block the effects of testosterone, decrease the level of testosterone, or increase the level of estrogen. There are a number of causes that disturb this hormonal imbalance causing gynecomastia, these are as follows.
These causes are natural and are a result of hormonal changes naturally.
Gynecomastia in Infants – A huge percentage of male infants are born with swollen breasts. It is due to an effect of their mother’s estrogen. The enlarged breast tissue goes away within 2 to 3 weeks after birth.
Pubertal Gynecomastia – It is a result of hormonal changes during puberty and quite common among teenagers. In most cases, the swollen breast tissue goes away within 6 months to 2 years without any treatment or male breast reduction surgery.
Adult Gynecomastia – This type of gynecomastia is more common in middle age to older adults and does not go away naturally, thereby requiring gynecomastia surgery or other treatment procedures. But before opting for surgery, it is important to understand the gynecomastia surgery risks, which can be explained in detail by the surgeon. This type of gynecomastia may be a result of the following causes:
Medications – Some medicines trigger hormonal imbalance, which causes gynecomastia. Several medicines such as anti-androgens, anabolic steroids, AIDS medications, anti-anxiety medications, few antibiotics, tricyclic antidepressants, some heart medications, and a number of others might cause male breast enlargement. It is essential for individuals to discuss the matter with their doctor and opt for male breast reduction surgery in Delhi if required.
Use of Alcohol and Street Drugs –Excessive use of alcohol and street drugs such as amphetamines, marijuana, heroin, and methadone might trigger hormonal imbalance to cause gynecomastia.
Health Conditions – A few health conditions such as hypogonadism, hyperthyroidism, tumors, liver failure, kidney failure, cirrhosis, malnutrition, starvation, and aging can also cause gynecomastia.
2. How Gynecomastia Surgery Benefits You?
Gynecomastia surgery is one of the best possible treatments available for the disease, in addition to the use of different prescription drugs. There are several gynecomastia surgery benefits that are discussed below.
- The surgery readily enhances self-confidence and self-esteem
- It offers a much more masculine figure, thereby promoting a manly appearance
- With the male breast reduction surgery, it becomes easier to maintain an overall healthy weight
- Surgery helps in the alleviation of back pain significantly
- After a gynecomastia surgery procedure, it makes physical activities much easier
- Male breast reduction surgery is suitable for almost everyone
- Gynecomastia surgery procedure is quick and does not involve a lot of time
- Time taken for gynecomastia surgery recovery is less, and hence a preferable option
- Individuals undergoing gynecomastia surgery can enjoy long-lasting results
- You can have innumerable wardrobe options
3. Risks Associated with Gynecomastia Surgery
The surgery is usually safe and can be opted for by almost everyone who is in need. There are very few complications associated with the surgery and hence considered safe by healthcare experts. A few gynecomastia surgery risks are listed below.
- Post-operative pain is common but can be controlled with medications
- Visibility of surgery scars and their poor appearance
- Poor appearance of the chest
- Poor wound healing and infection in the surgery wounds
- Accumulation of fluid under the skin resulting in swelling
- Regrowth of breast tissue with time
Usually, these risks can be controlled and managed well with post-operative care, hence nothing much to worry about.
Precautions Before Surgery
Here are a few important precautions to take before the surgery.
- Get all the mandatory pre-operative tests done under the supervision of an expert
- Clean shave the chest area and under-arms
- Do not eat or drink 6 hours before the surgery
- Make sure to wear comfortable clothes
- Strictly follow all suggestions given by the surgeon
- Have a responsible person accompany you on the day of surgery
Gynecomastia surgery benefits will be best if all precautions and measures before surgery are rightly followed according to the instruction of the surgeon.
Precautions After Surgery
Post-operative care and precautions are of immense importance, that is as follows.
- After the surgery is over, a small dressing is put on. A pressure garment is applied to minimize any kind of swelling along with rightly supporting the new chest contour as it heals
- You can take a bath the next day or 24 hours after the surgery, and no such dressing is required
- Make sure to take the antibiotics and other medicines as prescribed by the doctor
- Visit the surgeon after 10 to 14 days as advised for removing the sutures
- Driving needs to be avoided for the first 24 hours after the surgery, but normal life can be resumed after that
- After a week, it is important to start exercising or as per the instruction of the doctor, depending on the comfort of the patient
Gynecomastia surgery recovery is quick if the instructions from the doctor are strictly followed.
At Aesculpir, one can be assured of getting the best gynecomastia treatment almost without the involvement of any risks. You can also get the gynecomastia surgery in Delhi at Aesculpir at an affordable cost, along with superior quality post-operative care. The doctors at Aesculpir are adequately trained and vastly experienced to provide the best treatment facilities to patients, so that they can cherish gynecomastia surgery benefits lifelong.
Subscribe To The Aesculpir
Subscribe To The Aesculpir
- Eye Bag Surgery: Benefits, Risks, Recovery Time & Cost in Delhi 24-Sep-2021
- Gynecomastia Surgery: procedure, recovery, cost, and more 03-Sep-2021
- Liposuction Recovery: Tips on How To Enhance Your Recovery 02-Sep-2021
- Liposuction: How it works, Types, Safety & Benefits 24-Aug-2021
- How long does a hair transplant last? 19-Aug-2021