Do’s And Don’ts Before Male Breast Reduction Surgery
More than 70 percent of boys in their early- to mid-puberty experience male breast development or gynecomastia because of fluctuations in the levels of natural hormones, according to the National Institute of Health (NIH). Gynecomastia is also experienced by 65 percent of middle-aged and older men. However, this health condition can be treated with male breast reduction surgery.
Table Of Contents
Feel free to skip ahead if one topic catches your eye:
1. How common is gynecomastia?
Gynecomastia is a health condition that affects approximately 1 out of 4 males. It may occur in newborns, teenage boys going through the stage of puberty, and older men. Males suffering from this condition experience benign enlargement of their breasts (mostly bilateral but can happen unilaterally and is generally asymmetrical), caused by an imbalance of the hormones – testosterone and estrogen.
Usually, gynecomastia (also known as male breast enlargement or male boobs) is not a cause of serious concern but it may be tough to cope with as it can cause social embarrassment. In rare cases, boys and men with gynecomastia may experience pain in their breasts.
When to Consider Gynecomastia Treatment?
Gynecomastia treatment can be considered in the following cases:
- If you want to enhance your social confidence.
- If you want to enhance your complete body proportions.
- If you are usually reluctant to swim, remove your shirt in public, exercise at a gym, or participate in sports.
- If you are experiencing psychological discomfort associated with large breasts or “man boobs”.
Causes Of Gynecomastia
There are many health conditions that may cause or aggravate gynecomastia, such as:
- Hormonal imbalance
- Thyroid complications
- Diseases or injuries that affect the male testicles
- Malnutrition and starvation
Risk Factors Of Gynecomastia
- Liver or kidney disease
- Alcohol abuse
- Klinefelter’s syndrome
- Tumors of pituitary or adrenal gland or testes
- Radiation treatment of the testicles
- Hormonally-active tumors and Hyperthyroidism
- Anabolic steroids
- Tricyclic antidepressants
- HIV medications such as Efavirenz
2. How to prepare yourself for gynecomastia surgery?
It is important to follow these tips for male breast reduction surgery:
- It is important for you to select a qualified and experienced surgeon based on their education, certification, and training. You must be comfortable with the surgeon as far as asking questions or suggestions is concerned.
- Patients opting for male breast reduction surgery should avoid eating 8 hours before surgery and drinking 6 hours before surgery.
- It is important not to wear jewellery, valuables, lotions, deodorant, contact lenses, nipple rings, and dentures before surgery.
- Patients must wear loose-fitting, comfortable clothing, preferably a hoodie with a zipper or a button-up top.
- It is best to wear comfortable and flat shoes and warm socks.
- Patients should arrange for a friend, family member, or colleague to drive them to and from male breast reduction surgery.
- Patients should take multivitamins 2 weeks before and 6 weeks after surgery. However, vitamin E should not be taken separately from multivitamins.
- Vitamin K cream may be used to aid in overall skin healing and reduce bruising.
- Vitamin C supplementation (500mg every day starting 2 weeks before surgery) may be used to assist with tissue repair and quick healing of incisions.
- Arnica cream may be used after gynecomastia surgery to treat swelling and bruising.
- Patients may arrange post-operative care accessories such as alcohol swabs, ice packs, Neosporin, Cortisone cream, Mastisol liquid adhesive, and Gynecomastia binder after recommendation by the surgeon or support staff.
Gynecomastia Surgery Procedure
Gynecomastia surgery is a one-time treatment that lasts for around 1-2 hours and is performed after administering local or general anesthesia. The primary purpose of gynecomastia surgery is to correct deformities of the nipple, breasts, and/or areola and restore a normal male breast contour. The surgical options include excision (surgical removal of tissue), liposuction, or a combination of both.
In rare cases, male breast reduction surgery side effects may happen and can include changes in breast or nipple sensation, pain, discomfort, swelling, inflammation, itching, or fluid accumulation (seroma). However, these male breast reduction surgery side effects generally subside on their own. The surgeon may also prescribe antibiotics, anti-inflammatory medications, and/or drugs to relieve pain as part of your gynecomastia post-surgery plan.
The recovery time after gynecomastia surgery depends on many factors such as the type of procedure performed, the expertise of the gynecomastia specialist, the general as well as overall health of the patient, medications, etc. Generally, patients get back to work after 7-10 days and they can expect permanent gynecomastia surgical results assuming the weight stays stable.
3. Things To avoid while considering gynecomastia surgery
It is important for you to follow the undermentioned tips and precautions:
- It is important to avoid sunbathing for at least 2-3 weeks before surgery as tanning of the chest skin may potentially increase the risk of permanent scarring.
- Patients should avoid smoking and alcohol at least 2 weeks before the surgery.
- It is recommended for patients to avoid blood thinners and aspirin-containing products, herbal supplements, and Vitamin E supplements.
Gynecomastia surgery can be a good choice for you to enjoy permanent results, gain more confidence, and get comfortable revealing the chest contours, unclothed or clothed. It is also an excellent choice if you have been experiencing physical discomfort or embarrassment because of your breasts.
Gynecomastia surgery should be chosen if you have a positive attitude and have realistic expectations. Moreover, you should be in good general health. Contact Aesculpir now for the best male breast reduction surgery in Delhi. Know more about your options for gynecomastia surgery in Delhi.
At Aesculpir, you will get the best treatment and postoperative care from some of the best doctors and teams at an affordable cost.
Subscribe To The Aesculpir
Subscribe To The Aesculpir
- Extended Tummy Tuck: Procedure, Pictures, Cost, and More 26-May-2022
- How a Tummy Tuck Can Benefit Your Overall Health 23-May-2022
- Rhinoplasty for Flat Nose, Procedure & Cost in India 01-May-2022
- Breast Augmentation Surgery Cost: How Much Does Breast Augmentation Cost In India 13-Apr-2022
- 5 Amazing Benefits of Thread Lifts 03-Apr-2022